progress tracker

Monday 27 January 2014

Ryan's first cast- how HemiChat has helped make it a positive experience

Running update:
Please don't panic if you've donated and spot that I'm not on track yet to hit 1000k by the end of the year. As I'd said before, the bulk of my miles will come in the spring/summer! :) Last week it was a poorly Lucas and a very sore neck/shoulder from having said poorly boy sleeping next to me that has kept me off the road. Hoping to get out Wednesday if the pain is gone. I'm enjoying my runs when I get to do them, looking forward to lighter evenings which will get me out much more often.


So today Ryan had his first go at serial casting. Now technically it's not going to be 'serial' this time, as he'll only have the cast on for a week to get used to the idea of it for when he has it again down the line. Typically, the cast is swapped for a new one each week over a period of 3-4 weeks, sometimes more. Each time they stretch a little bit further when a new cast is put on. But for Ryan, it's just a week. Here's a good link that explains more about serial casting if you're interested: http://www.sjbhealth.org/body_childrens.cfm?id=1012

To give you an idea of HemiChat in action and how important they are to the people they support, here's how they've helped us as a family understand and be prepared for today and the week ahead.

*posts on our Facebook group about serial casting come up often. Both photos and updates from those who are currently in casts, and questions from those about to go through it. This summer when Lucas broke his leg, I knew just where to go to ask about waterproof covers for his cast. I had instant answers! And was prepared for this week with both a waterproof sock for outdoors, and a cover for in the bath.

When I posted about Ryan being casted this week, I had answers to my questions and lovely offers of said waterproof items if they were needed. I know if there are questions this week, I have somewhere to turn if those questions aren't necessarily ones that need answered by his physio. I felt so much more prepared going in today than I would have done if I didn't have HemiChat.

*Ryan was able to see another child in casts at a recent meet up. We were able to show him what they were like and talk to him about how he'd be able to walk/run, etc. just like he usually does. He was more prepared for today knowing what he was getting done. It did help having had a brother in a cast this summer too, though I don't want to do that again EVER.

*We had Henry HemiBear with us. Henry and his sister Hope travel round to the hemi children and stay for a few weeks to visit and be there for special events or appointments. They each have a bear-sized splint, cast, wheelchair, crutches and arm brace if needed. Ryan had Henry last year for a few weeks and was so excited to have him come and stay again. He was able to take him into school today, and when Ryan got his cast on, Henry got one on too. :) Volunteers from the charity oversee the bears and organise who they go to and when- I'm lucky to be looking after Henry for a bit and can't wait to make other children happy when we send him on. :)

Here's Ryan and Henry last week, and today with their new casts.






Your support means so much to us, thanks for reading and more soon!!
x

No comments:

Post a Comment