progress tracker

Friday 3 January 2014

The 'grand plan'

Well, I'm 2 runs in and both have been rather soggy so far..... but otherwise things are going well and I've run over 10k so far!

You might have noticed that my counter at the top is showing in miles rather than kilometers. There's two reasons for this- the first is that I can't find a widget that tracks in kilometers yet, but I am looking!! The second is that despite living in the UK for over 13 years, I'm still American- more importantly, my brain still thinks American.... and I learned to work in miles. All the years I used to run, I worked in miles.  Runkeeper tracks my workouts in miles... you see where I'm going with this!

So why the 1000k challenge then? Quite honestly- 1000 miles scared the crap out of me!! 1000k is just over 621 miles, and sounded much more realistic, and I do live in the UK...... I will say though that if I get to 6 months in and am doing ok, then I might just push for the 1000 miles after all, but we'll stick with kilometers for now!!

This means that for the British-minded readers, you'll have to do a little converting, but I've helpfully added a conversion widget to the bottom of the blog to help you!! I'll try and update my blog posts with both miles and kilometers, but please forgive me if I talk mostly in miles. :)


Having established that..... my plan for meeting my target is to run 3-4 times a week as much as I can. To keep me motivated, I'm entering races that I'm interested in and training for those. If you look down on the right, you'll see the ones I'm entered in so far. The Malvern half will be a big challenge for me, as I've not raced that far before, but my training will get some long distances in that will help move me towards the 1000k goal.

Right now I'm training for the Golden Gallop 10k in Feb. I'll admit that the 16wk training program (courtesy of Runkeeper!) I 'started' 2 months ago has been rather neglected due to a sore hip.... so I'm skipping through the workouts a bit for the next 6wks and hoping to get up to the distances I need before the big race.

I'll try and post at least once a week with how I'm getting on and I'll update my miles counter each time I run. My next post will be about fundraising ideas I'm thinking of -such as a big raffle when I get halfway to my target! You can help for now by sharing my JustGiving page (link on the right) and this blog with friends and family to help me gain support, and by subscribing to the blog so you don't miss any updates.

I've never had a blog before so this is all new territory, but am so excited to take on this challenge to raise funds for the fantastic Hemi Chat. :)

Bye for now!
Emily x

2 comments:

  1. Good luck Emily! Look forward to keeping up with your progress.
    From fellow Hemi mum & novice blogger
    Leanne x
    jackofalltradesmotherofone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said, newbie blogger - I appear to have 2 accounts. Hmmm one has my blog the other doesn't! This one should take you to the right profile, if you have time to have a look at mine! x

    ReplyDelete